I am a Full Professor at the University of Bergen and Center Director of the Research Centre for Responsible Media Technology & Innovation - SFI MediaFutures worth around 26 million EUR. I am also the founder of the DARS research group at UiB and hold a 10% Research Professor (Forsker I) position in NORCE (NKLM, department of Health) one of Norway's largest research institutions. I am also an External Lecturer at MODUL University Vienna, Austria's leading international private university. I have received a PhD (with distinction), an MSc (with distinction) and a BSc in Computer Science and Telematics from Graz University of Technology (Austria). I am an ACM Senior Member and a former Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) fellow, Marshall Plan and European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERICM) fellow and have been working at Graz University of Technology from 2009-2012, the University of Pittsburgh from 2011-2012, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology from 2014-2015, and have been visiting Yahoo! Labs Barcelona in 2014 and CWI Amsterdam in 2015 two times. I position my research in two central specializations in the Information Science research field. The first is "Behavioral Data Analytics" and the second is "Recommender Systems".
Since 2009, I published over 100 scientific articles in top venues about my work and have acquired over 54 million Euros in funding on European and (inter) national level - 30 million as the PI. Examples of outlets where my work has been published includes NATURE Sustainability, JASIST, EPJ Data Science, UMUAI, WWW, AAAI ICWSM or ACM SIGIR. I am also the winner of several Best Paper/Poster Awards and Nominations, including, the Best Paper Award Honorable Mention at the prestigious CORE A* ranked The Web Conference in 2017. I regularly act as a (senior) PC member on several top-tier - CORE A* ranked - conferences and co-organize or co-chair a number of workshops and conferences. Recent examples include ACM RecSys in 2018 - 2020 (as Workshop/Late-Breaking Results co-chair) and ACM SIGIR 2020 - 2021 (as senior PC). I am a steering board member of CEDAS (Center for Data Science) at UiB, a member of the study program board of the Information Science program at UiB and a member of the editorial board of Elsevier's journal on Online Social Networks and Media, the Open Access Journal Future Internet and Frontiers in Big Data. Since 2009, I have taught over 2000 students in Austria and Norway, in over 35 courses on BSc, MSc, MBA and PhD level about ICT, and I supervised over 35 students on their Master or PhD thesis.
- [04/2021] Accepted the editorial board invitation for the journal Frontiers in Big Data - Section: Recommender Systems!
- [03/2021] Exploring the Effects of Natural Language Justifications on Food Recommender Systems with Cataldo Musto, Alain Starke, Amon Rapp, Giovanni Semeraro and myself has been accepted at ACM UMAP'21 as a full paper. Here the pre-print! PDF
- [03/2021] Happy to share that "Exploring Multi-List User Interfaces for Similar-Item
Recommendations" has been accepted at ACM UMAP 2021. Here the pre-print! PDF
- [03/2021] Happy to share that 4 new papers on food recommender systems and search are out, see publications :)
- [02/2021] Happy to share that I have been promoted to Full Professor :)
- [01/2021] Happy to share that www.mediafutures.no is online :)
- [01/2021] Happy to share that I have been awarded ACM Senior Member grade. "The Senior Members Grade recognizes those ACM members with at least 10 years of professional experience and at least 5 years of Professional Membership in the last 10 years, who have demonstrated performance through technical leadership, and technical or professional contributions!"[ACM]
- [12/2020] Happy to announce that we have 7 positions (4PhD+3PostDoc) available in my new research centre MediaFutures (www.mediafutures.no)! God jul :)
- [11/2020] Happy to announce that our paper "Recommender Systems in the Healthcare Domain: State-of-the-Art and Research Issues." co-authored by Tran, T.N.T, Felfernig, A., Holzinger, A. and myself has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Intelligent Information Systems. Here the pre-print! PDF
- [10/2020] Will give a keynote talk at the Cutting Edge Science and Engineering Symposium: Advances in personalised healthcare and wellbeing support technologies organised by CSIRO - OzDHI2020.
- Have been awarded a "Momentum Stipend" at UiB. Momentum is UiB’s flagship development programme for early stage researchers - postdocs, forsker or førsteamanuensis – who wish to pursue an academic career at a research university. Amount: 100,000NOK
- [09/2020] Our proposal "Communicating the environmental impact of plant based recipes" has been accepted by the Alpro foundation :)
- [09/2020] Accepted the Editorial Board invitation to the Open Access Journal - Future Internet.
- [07/2020] Happy holidays :)
- [06/2020] Wow wow wow: Won the SFI - Centre for Research-based Innovation - MediaFutures, with my team! What a day :)))
- [06/2020] Very happy to hear that our work "Visual Cultural Biases in Food Classification", authored by Qing Zhang, David Elsweiler and myself has been accepted in Foods, IF: 3.011. Here the pre-print! PDF
- [06/2020] Have been interviewed regarding our SFI application MediaFutures in the context of a #FakeNews breakfast meeting organised by NCE Media along with the CEO of Schibsted and other important media experts from NRK, TV 2, Tinius Trust, and Faktisk.no. Here the . YouTube video
- [06/2020] Happy to announce that our paper "Visually-Aware Video Recommendation in the Cold Start" co-authored by Mehdi Elahi, Reza Hosseini, Mohammad Hossein Rimaz, Farshad Bakhshandegan Moghaddam and myself has been accepted at ACM Hypertext 2020 in the Blue Sky Ideas Track. Here the pre-print! PDF
- [05/2020] Happy to announce that our paper "Towards Generating Personalized Country Recommendation" with EL Majjodi, A., Elahi, M., EL Ioini, N. and myself as co-authors, has been accepted for publication in ACM UMAP LBRS 2020 :) Here the pre-print! PDF
- [04/2020] Happy to announce that our paper "Towards a Knowledge-aware Food Recommender System Exploiting Holistic User Models" with Cataldo Musto, Alain Starke, Giovanni Semeraro and myself as co-authors, has been accepted for publication in ACM UMAP 2020 :) Here the pre-print! PDF
- [03/2020] Here the data for our paper "Learning to Recommend Similar Items from Human Judgements", due to popular request :) DATA
- [02/2020] Happy to announce that our IKTPLUSS proposal "RE-AIMED: Readjusted responses by use of AI in medical calls" lead by NORCE has been granted by the Norwegian Science Fund!
- [02/2020] Happy to announce our newly established DARS lab! The lab performs cutting-edge research in methods (e.g., AI methods to predict user behavior) and applications (e.g., intelligent user interfaces) in the context of behavioral data analytics and recommender systems. Get more info here: https://dars.uib.no/
- [01/2020] Work with me as a PhD student! Deadline: 29th February 2020. Here the job post!
- [12/2019] Happy holidays :)
- [11/2019] Have been talking at the 1st International ‘Alan Turing’ Conference on Decision Support and Recommender Systems (DSRS-Turing 2019) held at the The Alan Turing Institute, UK.
- [10/2019] Happy to announce that the MediaFutures SFI application "Research Centre for Responsible Media Technology & Innovation" worth around 30 million EUR and which I lead as PI has been submitted successfully to the Research Council Norway :)
- [10/2019] Have been invited by the Center of Nutrition @ UiB to talk about my research on Computational Data Analytics on the Web for better Food Decision Making. Here the slides! PDF
- [08/2019] Happy to announce that my paper with Dietmar Jannach "Learning to Recommend Similar Items from Human Judgements", has been accepted for publication in UMUAI :) PDF
- [08/2019] Happy to have been invited as the keynote speaker for the Third Workshop on Recommendation in Complex Scenarios co-located with RecSys 2019, Copenhagen. Talk Title: Online food recommendations: A complex problem?
- [08/2019] New paper with David Elsweiler, "An Evaluation of Recommendation Algorithms for Online Recipe Portals". PDF
- [07/2019] Invited paper on online food behavior published in NATURE Sustainability :)
- [07/2019] Have been invited as a speaker to the ACM Summer School on Recommender Systems in Gothenburg, Sweden. Looking very much forward to this great event. PhD & MSc students, sign up as long as there are tickets available :)
- [06/2019] Happy to announce that I have joint the editoral board of the Online Social Networks and Media journal.
- [06/2019] Will be giving a keynote speech at the 1st International ‘Alan Turing’ Conference on Decision Support and Recommender Systems (DSRS-Turing 2019) in November 21-22 held at the The Alan Turing Institute, UK.
- [04/2019] With Alain Said and Hanna Schäfer I am organizing a special issue for the UMUAI journal called "Special Issue on Recommender Systems for Health and Wellbeing". Check out the call!
- [04/2019] Our paper "Predicting Movie Popularity and Ratings with Visual Features" has been accepted at the SMAP workshop co-located with ACM UMAP 2019. PDF
- [03/2019] Our paper "Identifying Cross-Cultural Visual Food Tastes with Online Recipe Platforms" has been at AAAI ICWSM. PDF
- [03/2019] Our paper "Exploring the Power of Visual Features for Cold Start Recommendation of Movies" has been accepted at ACM UMAP! PDF
- [03/2019] The Joint Proceedings of the ACM IUI 2019 Workshops co-edited with Parra, D. and Riche, N. are now online! PDF
- [03/2019] This website is now also available under christophtrattner.com!
- [01/2019] Our paper "Tag-Based Information Access in Image Collections: Insights from Log and Eye-Gaze Analyses" with Lin, Y., Parra, D. and Brusilovsky, P. has been accepted for publication in Knowledge and Information Systems [IF:2.247].
- [12/2018] Our workshop on Modeling Social Media: Mining, Modeling and Learning from Social Media has been accepted at The Web Conference. Check out the call for papers!
- [11/2018] Our paper "Towards a Big Data Platform for News Angles" with Ocana, M., Opdahl, A., Nyre, L., Tessem, B. and Veres, C. has been accepted for publication in the 4th Norwegian Big Data Symposium (NOBIDS) held at NTNU.
- [11/2018] Our paper "The Roadmap to User-Controllable Social Exploratory Search" with di Sciascio, C., Brusilovsky, P. and Veas, E. has been accepted for publication in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems.
- [10/2018] Our paper "Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior" with Kusmierczyk, T. and Norvag, K. has been accepted for publication in Information Processing and Management [IF:3.444]. PDF
- [10/2018] Attended RecSys'18 in Vancouver (it was fantastic) and run among other things the Health Recommender Systems Workshop. The proceedings are now online and can be downloaded from CEUR-WS !
- [08/2018] Our paper "Healthy Menus Recommendation: Optimizing the Use of the Pantry" with Emanuel, J., Oliveira, R., Marinho, L. and Trattner, C. has been accepted at the HealthRecSys workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Our paper "Towards Explanations for Visual Recommender Systems of Artistic Images" with Dominguez, V., Messina, P., Trattner, C. and Parra, D. has been accepted at the INTRS workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Together with Lidija Lalicic from MODUL University Vienna we have won the Austrian Chamber of Commerce (WKO) Prize to conduct research in the context of online food marketing in Facebook. Stay tunded for more updates!
- [07/2018] Our paper "Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features" with Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D. and Soto, A. has been published in Springer's User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks" with Eberhard, L. and Atzmueller, M. has been published in Springer's Information Retrieval Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes" with Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. has been published in EPJ Data Science. PDF
[06/2018] Our grant proposal Investigating the impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Journalism's Social Contract - Issues of Machine Ethics in Modern Journalism with Marija Slavkovik as PI and Truls Pedersen, Helle Sjøvaag, Sjur Dyrkolbotn and me as co-applicants got accepted by the Norwegian Research council.
- [05/2018] Will be teaching a MSc course on recommender systems this fall at the University of Bergen :) Stay tuned for the teaching material!
- [04/2018] Full paper (16% quota) accepted at ICWSM'18! Title: "The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes". PDF
- [03/2018] Was invited by the CS department at UiB to the Winter School on Algorithms. Gave an invited lecture on "Recommender Systems" and the research we do on food recommender systems. The venue was Geilo :) Awesome place to do some skiing!
- [03/2018] New book chapter on "Evaluating Group Recommender Systems" in the new Springer book on "Group Recommender Systems: An introduction" is now available. PDF
- [02/2018] There are some exciting news to share :) As of Feb. 2018 I will be joining the Department of Information Science and Media Studies at the University of Bergen as
Associate Professor in Data Science (permanent position).
Latest 10 Publications
- Exploring the Effects of Natural Language Justifications on Food Recommender Systems. Musto, C., Starke, A., Trattner, C., Rapp, A. and Semeraro, G. 29th ACM International Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP '21). 2021. PDF
- Exploring Multi-List User Interfaces for Similar-Item Recommendations. Jannach, D., Jesse, M., Jugovac, M. and Trattner, C. 29th ACM International Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP '21). 2021. PDF
- Nudging Health Choices in Food Search Through Visual Attractiveness. Starke, A.D., Willemsen, M.C., & Trattner, C. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence. 2021. PDF
- Using Natural Language Processing and Artificial Intelligence to explore the nutrition and sustainability of recipes and food. Van Erp, M., Reynolds, C., Maynard, D., Starke, A., Ibáñez Martín, R., Andres, F., Leite, M.C.A., Alvarez de Toledo, D., Schmidt Rivera, X., Trattner, C. and Brewer, S. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence. 2021 PDF
- Promoting Healthy Food Choices Online: A Case for Multi-list Recommender Systems. Starke, A.D., & Trattner, C.
In: HEALTHI’21: Joint Proceedings of ACM IUI 2021 Workshops. 2021. PDF
- Changing Salty Food Preferences with Visual and Textual Explanations in a Search Interface. Berge, A., Velle Sjøen, V., Starke, A.D., & Trattner, C.
In: HEALTHI’21: Joint Proceedings of ACM IUI 2021 Workshops. 2021. PDF
- Recommender Systems in the Healthcare Domain: State-of-the-Art and Research Issues. Tran, T.N.T, Felfernig, A., Trattner, C. and Holzinger, A. Journal of Intelligent Information Systems. 2020. PDF
- Visual Cultural Biases in Food Classification. Zhang, Q., Elsweiler,D. and Trattner, C. Foods. 2020. PDF
- Visually-Aware Video Recommendation in the Cold Start . Elahi, M., Hosseini, R., Rimaz, M.H., Bakhshandegan Moghaddam, F., and Trattner, C., Proccedings of the ACM Hypertext 2020 (HT'20). PDF
- Towards a Knowledge-aware Food Recommender System Exploiting Holistic User Models. Musto, C., Trattner C., Starke, A. and Semeraro, G. In Proceedings of ACM UMAP, 2020. PDF